The months of October and November are for all things pumpkin. Today I’m sharing with you the recipe for the most delicious pumpkin roll with cream cheese icing. This thing is so, so, SO good!
A classic pumpkin roll is my favorite dessert when it comes to Fall desserts. They remind me of cold, cozy nights by the fire after carving pumpkins or prepping for Thanksgiving. What can I say, I’m nostalgic. Keep reading to find the recipe, as well as the secrets to making your best pumpkin roll!
The secret to a good pumpkin roll? Moist cake and stiff enough cream cheese icing so that your roll won’t deflate and look like complete shit. In this recipe lemon juice is my secret ingredient to making the pumpkin roll as moist as possible. Very unexpected, but it does the trick.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin spice
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Start by preheating your oven to 375°.
- Add eggs to a large mixing bowl. Beat on high for 5 minutes.
- Gradually begin adding sugar, while continuing to mix.
- Add pumpkin and beat to combine.
- Add lemon juice, vanilla, and dry ingredients and beat until just combined.
- Pour batter in a lightly greased 10"x15" baking sheet. Spread evenly.
- Bake in a 375° oven for 10-15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Lay out a large dish towel, and heavily coat in powdered sugar. Flip baked cake onto towel while still hot, and immediately roll up with the towel, like you're rolling a cinnamon roll.
- Allow to cool completely, at least 1 hour.
- Roll pumpkin roll out, cover in cream cheese frosting, then roll back up again, leaving out the towel this time.
- Cover and chill for at least an hour, until set. Finish my garnishing with sprinkled cinnamon, nutmeg, or even chopped nuts.
As for the cream cheese icing, I like mine on the heavier side. I am just a full believer in cream cheese icing.
Ingredients for the cream cheese icing:
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- ½ cup shortening
- 2 (8 ounce) blocks cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 pounds powdered sugar (about 11 cups)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoons cream or milk
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, shortening, and cream cheese.
- Slowly add in powdered sugar and continue beating until well combined and creamy.
- Add vanilla and 1 tablespoon of milk and beat again until combined. If mixture is still too thick for your liking, add an additional tablespoon of milk and beat again until you reach you desired consistency.
So what do you think, are you a pumpkin roll fanatic like me? To take your pumpkin roll to the complete next level you can even sprinkle with chopped nuts and almonds, or even pumpkin seeds.