So this cake didn’t photograph as well as it should have, but I couldn’t resist sharing with you the deliciousness that is Guinness Cake.
I had never thought of baking with beer, but according to my sister (the master pastry chef) it is totally a normal thing. Beer doesn’t have to be just for drinking, and we’re totally okay with that! We were trying to think up a recipe for St. Patrick’s Day and Guinness was the first thing that came to mind. This cake is creamy, rich, and heavenly.
Looking to take this Chocolate Guinness Cake to the next level? Serve on top of some mint ice-cream. Seriously you guys, so good!! You could also top the cake with walnuts or even shaved Reese’s.
- Cake Ingredients
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 10 ounces dark brown sugar
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 6 ounces plain flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 7 fluid ounces Guinness stout (or other Irish stout)
- 2 ounces cocoa powder
- Icing Ingredients
- 4 ounces chocolate
- 2 tablespoons Guinness stout
- 2 ounces butter
- 4 ounces icing sugar, sifted
- Grease and line your cake pan, and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Gradually beat in the eggs.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda into a separate bowl.
- Stir Guinness into cocoa.
- Carefully fold in alternate quantities of flour and cocoa to butter/sugar mixture.
- Spread mixture into pans and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Leave to cool in pans for 5 minutes before turning out.
- To make the icing, melt chocolate with Guinness, and then beat in butter and leave to cool a little before beating in icing sugar.
- When icing has cooled to a spreadable consistency, sandwich cake with icing and use rest for top and sides.
- Decorate with mini chocolate chips and grated chocolate.
This cake reminds me a little of our Milky Way Cake recipe.. It might look similar, but I promise the taste is completely different. The Guinness in the frosting really makes the cake stand out and taste like nothing you have ever tasted before! What are your plans for St. Patty’s day?
P.S. If you liked this recipe, make sure you check out our Reese’s Nachos, Fruit Pizza, or the easiest and most delicious cobbler you’ll ever try.