Just got back from visiting Charleston and boy was it beautiful. Not only did I have a great time at #SBScon, but it was nice to finally explore the charming little city. And, I can officially say I now know why people compare it to Savannah so much!
Traveling in style, yet comfortable, is key. Let me just tell you how many times I’ve felt so uncomfortable on a airplane or road trip because I had jeans on. They are just not made for sitting for extended periods of time, you feel me? Oh, but leggings are comfort’s middle name. I made a quick trip into my local Marshall’s before hitting the road and I’m so glad I did because this striped top caught my eye. It’s lightweight, and super flattering. Score! Many may have heard them before, but here a couple of my little packing/dressing for travel tricks that I like to keep up my sleeve:
1. Always wear a hat that you’re bringing and your jacket. Hats are easy to squish and flatten when put in a suitcase (unless you’ve found yourself the packable and foldable hats, then you’re good to go!) Jackets are bulky, take up a lot of prime space in your suitcase, and also you might need it if the flight gets cold.
2. Rely on those accessories. Outfits are easily transformed with the touch of the perfect accessories. Keep this in mind when planning outfits for your trip and also packing; i.e. invest in a reliable jewelry travel case! I have a handmade one from a local artist back at home and it’s truly saved me from countless headaches trying to untangle that jumbled mess!
3. Decide whether you’re going to be a folder or a roller. Here’s the deal: rolling is better for any unstructured bags such as a duffel or carry on. It also can help protect breakables. You’re going to want to fold any pieces that are linen or cotton, or any fabrics that are easily wrinkled, as well as tailored garments. Just trust me on this one!
4. These foldable travel flats will change your life. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.. These babies stayed in my purse all weekend while I was in Charleston and were there when I felt like my feet just couldn’t walk any longer.
5. Last but not least, don’t forget a (cute) portable charger. This thing will be your new secret weapon, I promise.
Tank- Marshall’s (similar here for under $25 and here in a cute color!) Leggings- Hue Flats- c/o Tieks Hat- D&Y (identical) Jean Jacket- American Eagle Sunnies- Identical Ring- Stella & Dot (love the matching bracelet)
Photos by Kelsey McCarthy