Ladies and gents, the blog hiatus is officially over, and boy does is feel good to be back! I’m sharing with you today this delicious apple and feta fall salad recipe.
This salad is the bomb.com Harrison was visiting a friend up in Harrisonburg, Virginia (see more on his blog!) and brought back some fresh picked apples. (Remember how I talked about how I felt like we took those beautiful apple orchards around our hometowns for granted?) We had so many when he returned it was even hard to think of ways to eat them all!
This salad was something we whipped up for a healthy dinner, but it could also be a delicious appetizer for the holidays. Trust me on this one, the lemon vinaigrette makes it!
- Baby spinach
- Feta cheese
- 1 apple sliced
- 1 White onion
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- Pan fry your bacon (we used about three strips)
- Once your bacon is cooked, remove from the pan but leave the grease. This is an easy way to quickly caramelize your onions.
- Slice up your apple rather thinly.
- In a large mixing bowl, start with your spinach. Next add your pine nuts, apples, bacon and onions. Top off with a sprinkle of feta cheese. Delish!
- (Makes approx. two salads.)
To make dressing:
1/4 cup red wine vinegar 2 tablespoons Digon mustard 1 teaspoon dried oregano 1/2 teaspoon dried basil 1 clove garlic, minced 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon black pepper 1/2 cup EVOO 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice