Hi LCC readers, it’s Alia! Mother’s Day is quickly approaching and I knew I wanted to do a little something extra for my mom (Nola!) this year. She is someone who I admire greatly and aspire to be like when I become a mother. Some of my favorite memories with my mom have been with delicious treats. We are obsessed with Georgetown Cupcakes and would order them for everyday of the week if we could. With that said, I was inspired to create my own recipe for my mom. She would love this cupcake because it isn’t too heavy and incorporates floral flavors. The angel food is light and airy while the frosting is more full and rich.
We wrapped them up in a pretty gift box full of matching tissue paper, twine, and a pretty floral decoration. I hope my mom and other’s are able to enjoy this yummy treat on this special day! Stay tuned, Taylor will be sharing her gift guide for Mom later on today!
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare the muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Sift together the flour, cornstarch, and salt in a medium sized bowl. Repeat this step four more times to aerated the ingredients.
- In a large separate bowl, beat the egg whites on medium-high with a electric mixer until they become foamy. Add the cream of tartar and beat until the mixture forms soft peaks.
- Slowly add the sugar, one tablespoon at a time until fully incorporated. Add the vanilla extract.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients with a spatula. This should be done in three different sections. Repeat until well combined. Gently fold in the lemon zest.
- Distribute the batter evenly to the cupcakes liners. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- *Be careful removing the cupcakes because significant changes in temperature will cause the cupcakes to shrink in volume. Cool them near the oven. Frost when completely cool.
Lavender Frosting: Ingredients 3/4 cups unsalted room temperature butter 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar 2 teaspoons dried lavender, finely chopped 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Purple food coloring
Add the butter to a medium sized bowl and beat with an electric mixer until creamy. Slowly add the powedered sugar and lavender to the bowl, followed by the vanilla extract. Beat until the frosting is fluffy. Add just a few drops of food coloring to the frosting.